The largest public solar thermal project in Greece completed with great success. The project was undertaken by "ANDRIANOS" company, after participating in an open international competition. The project was funded by the program EPPERAA (Operational Programme for Environment and Sustainable Development), and specifically from the Priority Axis 1 for the Protection of Atmospheric Environment - Tackling Climate Change - Renewable Energy.
The energy inspection of the project was done by Dr . Engineer M.I.T. Mr. Efthimiadis Apostolos in cooperation with the technical department of the Hospital. The final study was conducted by the scientific team of "ANDRIANOS ", headed by the Electrical Engineer, Mr. George Andrianos and the significant contribution of Mechanical Engineer , Mr Othonas Siagkas, on specific issues .
The project included the supply , installation and setting in function of a solar thermal system at Kalamata's Hospital, in order to upgrade the critical electromechanical hospital facilities, used for space heating and domestic hot water use . The optimal solution of the installation of a TiSUN solar thermal system was chosen to assist the existing oil boilers , with ultimate objective the energy saving in oil and electricity, and the reduce of CO2 emissions on the environment, also.
This solar heating system consists of:
- 226 TiSUN FMS solar panels, with total solar collector's surface of 535m2 ,
- 7 stratified solar tanks TiSUN PRO-CLEAN with spherical exchanger, with total storage capacity of 35,000 liters
- the compensation unit for hot water's temperature ,
- The temperature control unit of hot water
- the central control station of the solar installation which includes remote monitoring and configuration of the systems, for both local and online viewing of system components , and
- pumps for forced circulation of various heat transfer liquids carriers .
This is a Renewable Energy project with innovative and advanced technology in the following areas:
- The hydraulic and electronic automation and hydraulic fluid flow in the solar field ,
- the design of the storage containers in order to provide thermal stratification in the containers ,
- the technology for monitoring the temperature and circulation of thermal heat transfer carriers , for both the produced hot water and water recirculation .
THE EVOLUTION OF WORK
The actual construction of the project progressed rapidly and its successful completion is due to:
- the proper planning in the organization and management of the project
- the good knowledge of the subject project
- the excellent cooperation of both the responsible engineers and technical staff
- the catalytic cooperation of "ANDRIANOS" with the construction companies "EVROTHERMIKI" from Chania city and "TSAKALAKIS" from Sparta town
- the excellent cooperation of the contractor of the project with the Technical Service of Kalamata Hospital and especially with the Mechanical Engineer Mr Pan. Charitos and the Electrical Engineer Mr. Anast . Vlachodimitropoulos.
The main work of the project included:
- installation of the solar panels and the required piping on Hospital's rooftops
- uninstallation of the old heating water machinery ( storage heaters )
- the installation of the new gromet heaters
- installing the required piping (heating, cold & hot water for use, hot water of recycling - hot water of solar system)
- the installation of the units for automation , control, regulating , indicating and recording various parameters of the solar, heating and hot water producing systems.
ENERGY SAVING & ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
The system is now in full operation, so the solar energy can contribute to the heating of hot water and space heating .
From the Kalamata Hospital Solar Thermal project , will be achieved:
Annual energy savings of approximately 1.615.411 KWh of the required energy for space heating and hot water. This energy saving corresponds to 31.3 % of current annual consumption of oil and electricity and the annual economic benefit is estimated to approximately 225.000 €.
Annual reduction of CO¬2 emissions of 546.2 tons.
By completing the project, the hospital administration will ensure total resource saving, meanwhile does the functionality of mechanical systems of Hospital, for at least the next decade.
In Greece of the economical crisis and social concern , the ANDRIANOS company with steady steps & strategy , offers to the development of both the country and society, by investing in research and know-how of dynamic sectors in the direction of renewable energy , energy saving and environmental protection,always by providing quality projects and quality "green" buildings .